JavaScript is disabled

For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript in your web browser. Click the button below for instructions on how to enable JavaScript, then refresh the page.


Your browser is unsupported

You'll need to upgrade to a modern web browser to access this site. Click below to see some options.

View Browsers

Sole traders: recapping the Australian Capital Territory Govt Covid-19 response

If you’re based in Australian Capital Territory, then you may be eligible for support payments related to the August 2021 Covid-19 outbreak.

So far the Australian government has made the following relief payments available:

For individuals:

Covid Disaster Payments’ have been made available to individuals who have been impacted by the August 2021 lockdown. The Australian government is responsible for these payments and more information can be found here.

For sole traders:

COVID-19 Business Support Grants’ are available to non employing businesses who have experienced a 30% reduction in turnover in the event period compared to the previous 7 day period.  

What payments are available to individuals now

The ‘COVID-19 Disaster Payment’ is a payment from the Federal government to individuals affected by a declared lockdown. This is a lump sum payment to help when COVID-19 restrictions last for more than 7 days. Every 7 days is called an ‘event’ and payments can be claimed once for every event.

There are different dates for the ‘events’ depending on whether you are affected as part of Australian Capital Territory .

The dates of each event for Australian Capital Territory are listed below:

These dates will be adjusted as further lockdowns are announced. Most up to date dates can be found for Australian Capital Territory here. 

How much can I get

For all the events (13 August - 2 September in Australian Capital Territory):

  • If you have lost less than 20 hours work - you’ll get $450 per event
  • If you have lost more than 20 hours work - you’ll get $750 per event

The disaster payment is a non-taxable payment.

These amounts are only to individuals who do not receive any income support or have not received Pandemic Leave Disaster Payments. 

How do I get the payment

Claims the ‘COVID-19 Disaster Payment’ can be made through your myGov account linked to your online Centrelink account.  

What payments are available to Sole traders now

COIVD-19 Business Support Grant’ are available to non employing businesses who have experienced a 30% reduction in turnover in the event period compared to the previous 7 day period. To claim this grant you must also have an annual turnover of more than $75,000 (excluding GST) and have been registered on the Australian business register before April 2021. 

How much can i get 

$1000 is available if you have experienced a 30% reduction in turn over on the week starting Friday 13 August - Friday 20 August. Full information can be found here.

More details of how to apply for this grant and more criteria will be available soon here. 

If you’re a Hnry customer

If you’re a Hnry customer, then you’ll still need to claim the support payments through your myGov account.

If you have questions about how the support payments will affect you from a tax perspective, simply get in touch with the team to talk through your options!

*This article is up to date as of the 17th August, as Covid restrictions change so will this information.

DISCLAIMER: The information on our website is for general educational purposes only. It doesn't cover all situations and circumstances, and shouldn't be taken as direct tax advice. If you're looking for specific help with your taxes, join Hnry and our team of experts can provide you with assistance tailored to your business needs.

Share on: